Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Transfer Credits

Transfer Credit
University of Mount Olive will consider credits from these sources:
An institution accredited as degree granting by a recognized post-secondary regional accrediting body at the time the coursework was completed.
Non-collegiate settings, which are recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). Work must parallel courses taught at the University of Mount Olive.
An articulation agreement where an entire body of courses are preset for acceptance for degree completion.


Credits from foreign institutions of higher education will be evaluated on an individual basis. Transcripts must be translated into English prior to being evaluated.  It is recommended that students complete an application for evaluation at The evaluation will identify each credential, provide the US equivalent, and show US credit and equivalent grades for each subject beyond the secondary level. The cost of the evaluation service is the responsibility of the student applicant.

Note: The University will consider other accredited evaluation organizations who are active members of the "National Association of Credential Evaluation Services" (NACES). For more information regarding the type of evaluation needed, applicants should contact the Admissions or Registrar's Office.

Students who have completed the Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) may transfer up to 64 semester hours toward the Bachelor of Applied Science degree (BAS). Technical program credits earned by students wishing to complete the BA/BS degree will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Non-Traditional Sources of Credit
(Note: In addition to regular instruction, a student may earn a maximum total of 45 semester hours from the following combination of Nontraditional Methods: AP, IB, CLEP/DANTES, Credit by Exam and ELC.) 
Credit by Examination
Course credits are validated by acceptable scores on Advance Placement exam (AP), International Business (IB)CLEP/DANTES examination and credit by examination. Note: a maximum of 15sh can be applied toward an associate degree and a maximum of 30sh towards a baccalureate degree.

The American Council on Education (ACE) was created in 1942 to recognize the educational value of military training and experience. Since that time ACE has continuously evaluated military schools, correspondence courses and occupations to determine the amount and level of academic credit each should be awarded. UMO recognizes all military service credit with ACE credit recommended credits at the lower/upper level associate/baccalaureate category.

Credits from military training based upon proper documentation of the student's military education, namely from the DD Form-214, and/or JST transcript. Credit is awarded based upon the American Council on Education's recommendations and the needs of the student's program.

Transcripts of Military Service

Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard

Air Force  


  • Veteran who are eligible may use the JST website as well. However, if you are not eligible for a Joint Services Transcript, then you will need to provide your DD-214 Discharge Documentation to receive credit for your experience.

All military students are entitled to receive four semester hours of credit for Health & Physical Education in lieu of Basic Training, if the credit is needed. The following documentation is required:

Basic Training (BMT)

  • RETIRED - Submit a copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 Copy).
  • ACTIVE DUTY - If you are Active Duty and do not have a DD-214 with discharge status available, then you can submit a letter from your Commanding Officer stating successful completion of BMT and the amount of Active Duty time you have completed to date.
Prior Learning (Experiential Learning Credit - ELC)
Learning that takes place in settings other than the traditional classroom. Such experiences, when properly documented with actual application in work and other situations, may be evaluated for possible academic credit (Guidelines and References).
 Note: a maximum of 15sh can be applied toward an associate degree and a maximum of 30sh towards a baccalureate degree
Transfer Process
Academic Advisors are available to meet with students and provide an estimate of transferable credit. After the student has been fully admitted to the University as a degree seeking candidate, the Registrar’s Office will re-evaluate and confirm all transcripts evaluations. A curriculum evaluation will be provided to both the student and advisor within 30 calendar days provided all required documents and transcripts have been received (if you have not received a curriculum evaluation, then please contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance). Note: It is the responsibility of the Military Service Member using TA (Tuition Assistance) to provide their approved education plan to their Service Component through the Artificial Intelligence Portal. Credit will be awarded for all transferable courses taken at properly accredited institutions, in which a grade of C or better was earned.
All official transcripts are required for evaluation. The U.S. Department of Education requires every accredited college or university to have official transcripts on file for all current and previously enrolled students. For more detailed information regarding the documentation required, please click on the following: "Official Transcript Information".  It is only upon final review of the Registrar's Office that the student will know what additional courses are necessary to meet degree requirements. All courses transferred will become part of the student's transcript. The student may be responsible for requesting course descriptions from the original institution if the University deems it necessary. General guidelines for transfer credit are as follows:
· Undergraduate Residency Requirement At least 32 semester hours in residence, of which at least 18 semester hours (300/400 level) must be in the major to receive a bachelors degree and must be earned at the University of Mount Olive no matter how many hours are accepted in transfer, or are earned through examinations or certifications
. Graduate Residency Requirement At least 24 semester hours in residence
· Maximum Credit from Accredited Two and Four Year Institutions No more than 64 of the 126 semester hours required for graduation may be transferred from two-year institutions. A maximum of 94 semester hours may be transferred from four-year institutions. A combined maximum of 64 semester hours from two-year institutions and 30 semester hours from four-year institutions may be transferred to the University of Mount Olive.
. Maximum Credit from an Accredited Graduate Program No more than 6 semester hours may be transferred to the University of Mount Olive. 
· Transfer Credit and Graduation With Honors at the Undergraduate Level It should be noted that only students who earned 45 graded semester hours in residence at the University of Mount Olive will be eligible to graduate with distinction.
· Calculating the Cumulative Grade Point Average A student’s cumulative grade point average is based solely on work at the University of Mount Olive. Transferred credits from other institutions will not be calculated into the University of Mount Olive GPA.
North Carolina Community College Transfers

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement:
Students who graduate under the 2014 CAA program from an accredited community college in North Carolina with an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science (not an applied science) degree may transfer to the University of Mount Olive with junior status, all foundation requirements (General Education Core) satisfied, and 60-61 semester hours awarded. Note: Students who graduated during or after the fall of 1997 (1997 CAA program) from an accredited community college in North Carolina with an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science (not an applied science) degree may transfer to the University of Mount Olive with junior status, all foundation requirements (General Education Core) satisfied, and 64 semester hours awarded. For more information on the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement, please click on the following link: CAA.
If an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree has not been conferred, then all transfer work will be evaluated on an individual basis. College level work must be completed with a 'C' or better grade from a regionally accredited institution to be considered for transfer credit. The Applicant must be eligible to return to each institution attended. You can search the following link to determine which course credits from North Carolina Community College's will transfer for credit to the University of Mount Olive:

NC Community College Equivalencies

The UMO Schools prescribe how a student may transfer from the North Carolina Community College (NCCC) system to the University of Mount Olive (UMO) in order to complete a four year degree.
Note: This page provides general information regarding course equivalencies. Final authority regarding transferability of courses and those courses applicability towards a particular degree rests with the individual academic departments. Also, some hours transferred in under the CAA may not apply directly to specific degree requirements and may require additional hours. In addition, there may be cases where prerequisite courses are required.
The University of Mount Olive Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Form ( 1997 CAA or 2014 CAA )must be completed and attached to student's active curriculum evaluation.