Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

 Welcome International Students


SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) is a database system used by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to track the arrival, enrollment, and departure of international students and their dependents. Since February 2003, every institution in the United States that enrolls international students in F status has been required to use SEVIS. 

 Maintaining Legal Status

The following is a list of regulations you MUST follow in order to maintain your status in the United States. It is very important that you understand the following information.  Also, please refer to:

1. Report to Your College:  Once you enter the U.S., you must report to the college that issued your I-20.  Failure to report to the college that issued the I-20, upon your U.S. arrival is a USCIS violation and can also result in loss of your student immigration status.

2. Address Reporting: You MUST update your physical address (place of residence) in the United States (no Post Office Boxes) within 10 days of any move you make within the U.S. while in F-1 status (this includes temporary moves for the summer, if residing in the U.S.).

3. Enrolling Full-time: Undergraduate students MUST be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester.

4. Online Classes / Distance Learning. No more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per semester for an online class may be used to reach full-time enrollment. All other credits in that semester must be regular credits.  An on-line or distance education course is a course that is offered principally through the use of television, audio, or computer transmission including open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, or satellite, audio conferencing, or computer conferencing.  If the F-1 student’s course of study is in a language study program, no on-line or distance education classes may be considered to count toward a student’s full course of study requirement. (Rev. 1/1/03;67 FR 76256)

5. Dropping Below Full-Time: If for some reason you do not intend to enroll full- time during a semester (taking a leave of absence, medical problem, or initial difficulties with course level placement or the English language, or if you are an undergraduate in your final semester and you do not need 12 hours in order to graduate, etc.) you MUST talk with the DSO BEFORE you drop below full-time. No other office in the University has the authority to approve under-enrollment and report it to the Immigration Service. The DSO must approve this action prior to it taking place or you will be out of status.

6. Extension of program of study: It is very important that your Form I-20 remain valid at all times. If your document will expire soon, notify the DSO in Student Affairs immediately. You will be out of status if you allow your I-20 to expire and you have not completed your degree program (even if you are on F-1 OPT). Knowing your date of expiration is YOUR responsibility. Failure to extend your I-20 is a violation of your F-1 status and work on or off campus with an expired I-20 or may be considered illegal employment (even if you have an EAD for F-1 OPT).

7. Leaves of absence or withdrawal from school: If you are planning to take a leave of absence or to withdraw from school completely, you must notify the DSO before withdrawing from classes. F-1 students who withdraw from school in the middle of a term without PRIOR authorization from the DSO must depart the U.S. immediately, and will not be entitled to a grace period to depart. F-1 students who notify the DSO and receive authorization BEFORE withdrawing from MOC, are afforded a 15-day departure period. Only F-1 students finishing their program are afforded the 60-day grace period for departure.

8. Employment regulations: It is important that you abide by the employment regulations. As an n F-1 student, you are allowed to work on-campus no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session but may work full-time on-campus during their summer and winter vacations between semesters of study. All off-campus employment must be approved prior to beginning employment either by the DSO or in the case of Optional Practical Training or Economic Hardship, by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Unpaid internships or practicums may still be considered “employment” depending on certain factors and so they may still require employment authorization. Please discuss any “work” or “volunteer” opportunities with the DSO before beginning the opportunity. Do not work without authorization. An F1 student may work only when authorized.

For more information, see Working in the United States.
If you choose to work without authorization, you will be forced to leave the United States immediately. You may not be able to re-enter the United States at a later date. For more information on types of Employment, see Employment Information.

Admitted Student Day Booklet 2013.pdf
moc OPT Update Form.docx
New International Student Handbook 2014-2015.pdf
Request for Curricular Practical Training.pdf